Design for Tomorrow is a major project from the DPP that has been running over the summer looking at how to build business in the media industry in the future with resilience and agility. One section of the report focused on managing and monetizing media inventories and identified six success factors required to design tomorrow’s libraries and archives:
- Focus on value
- Well-organised data
- Accessibility of content
- Authorisation and integrity
- Mitigation of risk
- Adaptability to change
As a sponsor for the report, George Kilpatrick took part in a recent webcast hosted by Rowan De Pomerai, CTO at DPP to mark the release of this latest section of this report. The current climate means that content archives have never been more important.
During the webcast, George made the following key points:
- The question of usability and user interfaces are key – making things as intuitive as important to make sure assets can be accessible as possible from the cloud
- Most customers have a hybrid environment – few are going fully to the cloud at this point in time. This means it’s important to have solutions that provide visibility as to where assets are – on prem or in the cloud (public or private), what level of storage the assets are held at, and ideally a view on the costs associated with each level of storage so you can automatically lifecycle manage it
- Ultimately, it’s important to ensure the archivists or library owners can access and use all the latest tools such as AI and metadata tagging to make search and other functions easier, but as an industry we need to be mindful of costs delaying the use of such tools
- Looking forward, features like sentiment analysis could be useful to test and analyse content and when we add automation enabled by metadata this can rapidly speed up access to the right content for example in a live newsroom environment
- For the news world, smart archiving becomes increasingly important when dealing with deep fake and fake news to prove the validity of content
- The demand to move from LTO to cloud archives has quadrupled in the past few months – migration from legacy systems is accelerating
You can catch the full replay of the webcast below and download the Design for Tomorrow Libraries & Archives today!